off to see the world, there's such a lot of world to see

Translate

How I Plan My Trips


The enjoyment I receive from travelling begins even before I set foot off an airplane in destination.  I have always been a bit of a dreamer and immerse myself on a daily basis into travel day dreaming.  When I plan a vacation somewhere, I want to get in as much as possible of that destination on my trip.  I have a long list of places I want to visit in my lifetime and I may not have the opportunity to revisit some destinations, so I want to be as thorough as possible.  I wanted to share with you today my process in planning a trip, so you too can make the most out of your vacations!




Pinterest & Instagram


My planning for a trip begins long before I know when I will actually make it to that destination.  I have Pinterest boards full of inspiration for upcoming destinations as well as my previously visited destinations including, restaurants, monuments, activities etc. I'd like to see in each destination.  Anytime I see something I'd like to visit on Instagram, someones blog, a magazine etc. I go straight to Pinterest and pin it to my board, or save the photo on Instagram to pin later.  When I later start planning a trip to a new destination, I have a jump start on all the stuff I know I want to see!


My Pinterest if you're looking for inspiration. 

Time & Place

How I decide where and when I'm going depends on many factors.  For example, my trip to Austria two years ago, I knew I wanted to go for those dates based on a ballet that was playing in the city over a couple of months.  A lot of times, where and when may be decided based on a compromise between who you are travelling with, especially the when.  I typically like to be strategic though about when I go.  Another example would be my trip to Cape Cod, we went over 4th of July weekend, so we could watch the fire works on the beach.  I know that when I go to Japan I want to go in the Spring, for the cherry blossoms.

Research


Once I know where I'm going I will do a bit more research to make sure I know all the spots I want to go while in destination!  My favourite place to find information is from other bloggers, so I will usually just search their blog for the destination to see if they have been and where they went.  My favourite blogs for travel inspiration include: ohhcouture.com, thecherryblossomgirl.com, classygirlswearpearls.com, tijanserena.com, amelialiana.com, inthefrow.com, lovelyluciano.com & olivipalermo.com.  I will also search hashtags on Instagram and look at townandcountrymag.com, condenasttraveler.com and vogue.com.  These are my favourite places of inspiration and I usually find everything I would be interested in a given destination from these sources.

I am a very visual person, as may be evidenced by my love of Instagram and what I post here on my blog.  I take great consideration regarding my Instagram and blog when researching my trips.  I look for beautiful hotels, restaurants, architecture and monuments.

Google Maps


In order to decide each day in destination I will log all my attractions which I have pinned into Google Maps to decide the best route for places close to each other and what I should see on the same day.  I like my day to be busy from sun up to sun down, so I will try and decide how long I will need for each item on my itinerary and plan my day accordingly.

Travel Planner


I will then hop into my Numbers application on my Mac and begin to fill in the Travel Planner.  I love this!  For those of you who are big on organization and planning you will love this too.  Honestly, I actually love planning and packing for trips.  The whole time I'm just imagining myself on vacation!




The numbers template comes with three tabs: Itinerary, Reservations & Packing List.  I use all three, though you can decide for yourself what works for you and even create a new tab if you need one!  You can also customize what goes into each of these tabs based on information which is important to you.  I will usually print out my itinerary and reservations and bring with me and just use the packing list at home while packing.  One thing I love about the travel planner is it allows me to keep track of how much I have spent on my vacation to help keep within budget.

I hope this post helps you with your organization of a trip, so you too can get the most out of your vacation time!
SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig